Sunday, November 20, 2011

What Kind of Eater Are YOU?

Well being extremely busy and exhausted and completely overloaded with things to do, I have made a very important discovery.

I am a stress eater.

Some people eat when they're sad or depressed. Not me. I don't really find comfort in food when something else is bugging me. I never have. That is not to say I've never been and emotional eater. I have definitely been one to eat a lot in happy, celebrating times. I like food. I like to eat good food, and I have eaten way too much in my life. For me, it's kind of a cozy thing. It's part of how I create the whole idealistic picture of life. Kids have gone to bed, house is perfectly clean, yummy smelling candle is burning, a great movie is on t.v., and cuddling into the couch with something really yummy just completes the picture. That has been my life for a long time.

I have managed to overcome most of that, and I haven't really had to use food to complete the picture for a long time. But this past week--or longer--I have just not had a break, at all. I finally sit down on the couch at the end of the day completely exhausted. My legs are so weary from standing all day long, hours on end. I am happy with the work that has been done, but at the end of the day--it's exhausting! And not only have I been on my feet doing tons of work, I've also been taking care of my five kids and making sure they don't kill each other, and that they're all fed, dressed, and reasonably happy. And they're driving me CRAZY. We have truly outgrown this house, and I feel like I am surrounded by noise all. day. long. It is driving me absolutely crazy.

So by the time I sit on the couch, I don't mean to, but I feel like eating something good to just take the edge off the stress. To help me unwind. And it works! Last night I had some more of those pumpkin cookies. And I de-stressed pretty dang good. But then, of course, I was really mad at myself. It totally wasn't worth it!

So yeah, I have to come up with a game plan for things I can do to unwind and de-stress. Things that have nothing to do with food. I'll be working on that.

Just to give you an idea, here are some of the things I've made this past week: 4 loaves of whole wheat bread, whole wheat pretzel dogs and soft pretzels, 3 homemade pizzas, beef and cheese pies, taco meat, sloppy joe meat, mini-cherry pies, a little less mini-pumpkin pies, enchiladas, and 6 recipes of granola bars. Tomorrow I still have to make zucchini muffins, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie filling, canning jar apple pies, and pie crust. So. I'm getting tired of the kitchen! LOL.

Anyway, with all of that, I actually have done a very good job with my eating. And even when I unwound with cookies, it didn't turn into a binge or anything. I did think about it. After I finished them I sat there and thought about all the stuff hidden in the freezer, the pantry, in closets, whatever--and believe me, we have a lot of junk in this house for one reason or another--and still none of it appealed to me. It has been a long, long time since I binge ate. That is a nice discovery for me.  I am not perfect at this game, but I have come a long, long way.

1 comment:

  1. Your doing great! My way of avoiding junk food is not to have it in the house. No idea how bad it would be if my house will filled with it.

    As to the type of eater.. boredom does it for me. I used to eat a lot on the weekends when I was at home with nothing to do. I have 98% broken that habit. My only weakness at the moment is eating chips when I have settled down to watch tv in the evening.

    Fortunately, they are popchips. Just 100 calories a bag.

    ReplyDelete