Wednesday, October 31, 2012

This Crazy Mixed Up Thing We Call Life

Life is so good. I have had the best week EVER so far.

Other than worrying and praying for those on the east coast who suffered the wrath of Sandy. I don't think I know anyone over there who was close enough to have experienced even a power outage. But I've seen the pictures. I've read on facebook what others are saying about all the devastation. I truly hope that all of you out there weathered the storm and came through it alright.

As for me, I have my own storms to weather. They may not be pouring rain (although I do get plenty of that these days in the great state of Washington), extraordinarily high winds or flooding, nevertheless, they do require preparation and endurance. I don't always come through them so well. Sometimes they don't even touch me.

Overall right now, I'm keeping my head above water. I'm glad that I'm staying in control. But I can't exactly say I'm staying "on plan," because I still don't have any official plan. The binder is there waiting for me, the food journal pages are ready to be printed. I don't know if it's that I'm not ready yet to focus more on that stuff, or whether life has just been so crazy (will I ever get to stop saying that life is crazy? Just once I'd like to remember what it feels like to actually be bored. I don't know how many years--or decades--it's been since I was truly bored) that I really and truly haven't had the time to sit down and focus on outlining the guidelines I'd like to set for myself.

I do have guidelines in my mind. And I do mostly stick to them. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the progress I've made over the past few weeks. I don't eat perfect. My exercise is hit or miss. But I feel amazingly better, and I'm accomplishing more because of it. I don't have very much time. But I'm trying to get the most out of the time I do have.



I'm also waiting for a chance to get over to the gym and find out some details so that I can make a decision about whether or not joining would be a wise move at this point.

Still--I've got so much to be grateful for! On Monday I had a wonderful visit with a new friend. We just connected, you know? One of those "kindred spirits". That was a huge blessing--I think for both of us! Then I went to the mall with my husband, who got a surprise half day off, and my girls. We were able to knock some things off the Christmas shopping list, and then we went home to pick up the boys after school, and headed out to eat dinner, shop at Target, and treat the kids to Menchies (one of those frozen yogurt shops). The kids all behaved well and we had several hours where we truly enjoyed everyone's company with no fighting and no major behavior issues. It was fabulous.

Last night our kids got all dressed up and we took them over to the church for the Trunk-or-Treat. In the rain. We got soaked. But listening to my little girls (2 & 3) saying "trick or treat!" and "Thank you, Happy Halloween!" was just so cute. The kids got a major haul--what else can you expect when you have 5 trick or treaters out there?--and I love that it's not calling out to me.


We dump everyone's candy into a big family bowl, and then let the kids pick out 20 pieces that go into ziplocks with their name on them. The rest of it is "family candy." We'll most likely be handing out a lot of that to trick or treaters who come to our house after we get home tonight. (We're big into recycling around here, LOL).

Other than that, I have been insanely busy--barely sitting down for a break. But I have been living life. And that's what life is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment